Monday, June 18, 2012

Blog by Astuti

From the moment I first stepped foot in Peru the mountains surrounding us from all sides and the warm welcomes received from everyone, I knew this would be an amazing experience. I soon found my self comparing the roads sides of Peru and the Peruvian living style to that of India. Although eating habits differ greatly,their are a countless number of similarities. For instance, it is a custom for many families to own animals such as hens or guinie pigs and even farmland to help supply their food.
The idea of living a simple lifestyle to bring peace to ones heart seems to be the goal of many Peruvians. Walking into my home stay mothers house for the first time made me think of my grandmothers home instantly. The outside bathroom, courtyard in the middle of the house , limited kitchen supplies and the lack of electronics (such as tv and internet) is just like my grandmothers house in India. Walking through what would be my home for the next two weeks made me feel comfortable, assuring me that although this experience would stretch my comfort zone, it would also be something I would never regret.
Peru has shown me I have so much to learn from its rich history of the Incas. However, is particularly amusing how certain parts of my experience make me compare Ollanta to my hometown in India. This has allowed me to make a great connection between my culture and theirs. I look forward to seeing more of Peru in the next six days and getting to know my home stay family better as well as the other WH students accompanying me on this trip. Although this has been an adventure of a lifetime, I still can't wait to get back home and enjoy a lavish Indian meal cooked by both, my mom and dads hands. :) - Astuti

2 comments:

Ashwani Bhasin said...

Astuti - You and all your friends make us proud by being on such an adventure. We are confident this experience will accompany you for the rest of your lives, and the learning will help you deal with the global nature of life that is to follow in each one of your lives.

We wish you and all your friends have lots of fun learning, and serving the good people you are visiting, and bring home excellent memories to share with us all...

Unknown said...

Astuti, I admire your clear thinking and observations about how similiar people are - even when they are separated by thousands of miles and years! I appreciate your sharing your experience in your hometown and can imagine that that has helped you forge a great relationship with your host family. Sounds like a wonderful time appreciating home in New Jersey, too. Enjoy your remaining time in Peru! We are proud of you all!

Post a Comment