Monday, June 18, 2012

Blog by Catherine

Hi mom and dad, I'm in Peru:) it has been about a week since I have been here, and I may never want to come home. :P Once I stepped off the flight from Lima to Cusco I could feel the air and altitude difference. Driving through Cusco, my first time seeing houses and buildings made out of stone and adobe was eye opening. It was exactly like the pictures on google.

The town we are staying in is called Ollantaytambo. It is a small town surrounded by mountains, with lovely Peruvians, great food, markets, tourists coming through to go to Machu Pichu, and best of all where my home stay family lives.

I could not have asked for a better homestay family. There is mama, who is adorable. She finishes my sentences, she makes me laugh, and she is grateful for what she has. Mom, you would love her! There is papa who unfortunately deals with a lot of pain because he recently fell off a horse while doing his job, as a agriculture farmer. His hip and arm hurt a lot and every week he has to travel to Cusco (by train) to get treatment. He makes me realize that through pain, you can still smile. He reminds me of both of you, mom and dad. Then there are the three children Sandra, Daniel, and Lisandro. I fell in love with all of them the first night Lauren and I saw them. It is challenging talking only in Spanish, but who doesn't like a challenge? Not me!

So basically during the day we work at Bandolista, and at the night Lauren and I bond with our family.

Right now as I'm writing this, I am waiting to go back to Ollantaytambo after a great day of intense hiking followed by a delicious stream side lunch with fresh trout!

Tell charile, gammy, and pop I say hi. - Catherine

P.S. the food is delicious.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Catherine, you are a truly inspired adventurer! Have a blast during these next days. I wish we all could have the fun you are all having!

World Leadership School said...

Catherine,

We are so inspired to hear you're having a great time. We worried about all the hiking but believed, as always, you can do anything you set your mind to. Thanks for the Father's Day wishes; they meant a great deal. Sure is way too quiet without you. Keep having a great time.

Love,
Mom and Dad

World Leadership School said...

Hi Catherine,

Glad to hear you're having such a good time. I didn’t realize you were doing so well at speaking Spanish. Hope the rest of your trip goes as well and you get home safe and sound.

Hope you made it to Machu Picchu. Your Dad said you had some kind of knee problem.

Love,
Uncle Doug

Post a Comment