Friday, June 15, 2012

Blog by Mike

There's far too much that I've experienced so far that it's hard to put into words. For what it's worth, I'll try.

Peru is gorgeous in every sense of the word. The tall mountains that make up the Andes tower over everything, detailed and different with every inch. Some are blanketed with snow, which is a sight that most people only see on Evian water bottles, or on television. I'm lucky enough as is to be here, but to have the privilege of gazing at the beautiful snowcaps makes me realize how blessed I truly am.

Our home stay families are incredibly kind, caring, entertaining, and fun. We'll have conversations in Spanish and English during meals, which are always so much fun. Sometimes we'll hang out with the family members after the meals. One of the younger adults, Luis, took us hiking up to some Incan ruins. Last night, my fellow students, Luis, and some of the children named Creti and Emanuel had a shooting contest with a toy dart gun and danced to music. They're happy with what they have, and it really makes me reflect on the effect of material things on people.

The communities and ruins are eye-candy, it's hard not to look at them and be amazed. Here in Ollantaytambo, the people are friendly and have a great sense of humor.

As you who know why we are here are aware, sightseeing is not our primary objective. We're here to help a community called Bandolista, and the more I help, the better I feel.

I'm positive that by the time this trip is over, I will be a better and changed person. I can't wait to see what the future here will hold for me. - Mike

8 comments:

World Leadership School said...

It is wonderful to hear from you, Michael! You sound so wise after only 5 days in Peru. You have so much to teach us when you get home. We are all so proud of you! We miss you! Love, Mom.

World Leadership School said...

We are so happy for you. Your host family sound great AND they are FUNNY. The vistas you described are incredible. It is a place I have always wanted to see. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Love, Nana and Wayne

Tustin said...

Hi Michael...

We were thrilled to hear from you..From the tone of your email, I can just imagine how involved you are in the daily lives of your Peruvian families..What an experience!
Having lived with a family in Mexico City for 3 weeks, studying Spanish, I have an idea how attached you will become to yours..I know that the world will be a better place for what you're there to accomplish, let alone the new ideas and friendships that will always remain with you..We really miss you and those wonderful hugs that you give..Por ahora, hasta la vista y a gozar bien tu viaje!!!

Con mucho carino y abrazos (Can't do enyay on my computor...
Aunt Linda & Uncle Arlan

World Leadership School said...

Hope you received our message. Jenna's recital is tonight. Sooooo exciting. Love, Nana & Waynie

Unknown said...

Very perceptive writing, Michael. Hope you enjoyed your hike and can share more of your observations with us all!

World Leadership School said...

Michael,

Dad here- hope you are recovered from your K9 run in and are having a great time on your hike! Really proud of you and the whole group for how you are immersing yourselves in the experience. We miss you a lot, and can't wait to hear all about your trip. Please take pix and video so we can see a bit of the amazing sites and people you are meeting!

Love,

Dad

World Leadership School said...

Just read all the latest info and I am impressed with the experiences you are having. Hiking at 11,000 feet is no small feat (har). I have seen kids drop, faint and be sick as dogs at those altitudes. Oxygen is a great invention. I love that you camped out in tents. It all sounds to good to be true. We miss you and can't wait to see you. Love and hugs, Nana

World Leadership School said...

Ok, enough adventure, it's time to come home. We miss you terribly! I can't wait to feed you all of your favorite foods; and you can sleep in your comfy cosy bed. We love you so much!
Mom

Post a Comment