Saturday, June 16, 2012

Blog from Melissa

Day 6 - Friday, June 15
Day 2 of service work
Basket weaving, ceramics, and free time rotations

Sleeping after seeing one of the most beautiful night skies, and waking up to the crowing of a rooster marks the beginning of my day on Friday. Breakfast consisted of bread and butter and some hot chocolate that made the morning cold slowly melt away. Meeting at the plaza at 8:30am, the group of us who had not finished our basket weaving during the rotation the day before had that to finish before walking up to the Bandolista work site. Next time I see a hand made basket, I will now acknowledge the talent and work that goes into it. My first hand made basket will be proudly presented to my parents to show that with hard work and determination anything is possible (well, hard work and Pancho's help). Walking up the steps to Bandolista is still a little difficult. That walk must be building up my stamina. There will be a day when I get to the top of the stairs without getting tired. It appeared the work was divided into three categories: picking up plastic garbage to stuff into the bottles, stuffing the bottles with garbage, and sanding the wooden shapes. Upon arrival, I went to the sanding section. We accomplished sanding down most of the wooden shapes. Hopefully the children will be able to use those educational tools very soon. The Peru Crew also accomplished filling 29 bottles with plastic for a grand total of 96 so far. For lunch, our host mother served Stephanie and I a light soup and later spaghetti. Using a bucket containing a mixture of boiled water and cold tap water, and cup to pour the water over me; I felt clean once again. Passing through the market on the way to the five o'clock meeting, I think of what my parents would want from their home country. As much as I wish I could bring all the food she misses from Peru, I am sorry to say that is not possible. The main event at the meeting at five in the Full Moon Lodge was an author who came to speak to us. He is the vice- mayor of Ollantaytambo and is interested in preserving his culture by writing local Quechua myths in Spanish and sometimes English. I learned a lot of Peru's rich culture, which made me realize that my own grandma has her own stories to share with me. - Melissa

1 comments:

Ashwani Bhasin said...

It is great to read about you kids expanding the horizons of your knowledge and experience on this trip.... You make us all proud! Keep up the good work....

Post a Comment